Interested in studying the New Testament this year with your family?
Come, Follow Me is a new program that we have started this year. It has a lot of great ideas for studying the New Testament together with your family. It’s purpose is to deepen your conversion to Christ and to help you become more like Him.
This is such a great program! We have been following it for a few weeks now. Here are a few things to remember as you plan how you will study this with your family.
- First off don’t go at this on your own. Seek inspiration on how to do it. Fast and pray with your family about how to go about it-then do it!
- This program will look different for each family. I’ll share some ideas that we have tried, but you’ll have to make it your own. Use the online ideas as an inspiration and take what will work for you and your family.
- Nothing is set in stone. You can adjust as needed. What you do in December might look completely different from what you did in January and that is okay! Don’t be afraid to try new things. If it doesn’t work, try something else. Keep at it and you will see some amazing things happen.
- The program is meant to add on to all the good you are already doing as a family, not replace it.
- Encourage sharing with your family during the lessons as well as other times throughout the week. Stories, impressions, and questions will make your discussion richer and will help bring the Holy Spirit into your home.
- Consider new ways of presenting the information…not many people like the old lecture style of teaching. You want your family to be actively engaged in the lesson. Consider going on a field trip, draw a picture, act out something you are reading, get a scripture study journal for the kids to take notes as they read, watch an online bible video about what you are reading…Let them help navigate topics and lessons.
- Each of our family takes a turn leading the discussion/teaching the lesson. This really helps them study the lesson with more focus.
- Testify-Take time to share how you feel about each topic studied. Encourage your family members to share their testimonies as well.
- Talk with other families about what they are doing. I have gotten a lot of ideas from friends. Feel free to share here as well. I’d love to hear what you are doing.
Here is what our family is currently doing. Each of us studies the chapters for the week on our own and on the following Sunday afternoon we have our family lesson. We are reading the Book of Mormon daily as a family. You could also read the New Testament together. Last time we read the scriptures together we picked words to look for and mark with different colors. This time we draw a different paper each day that tells us what to focus on. This has really helped the kids focus on different ways of studying the scriptures.
Here are some more resources that we have tried or that look helpful. Most have a small fee. (Some include affiliate links).