Looking for some new ideas to try with your family this Valentine’s Day?
Date Night. My husband and I used to go out on Valentine’s Day, but now we celebrate either the weekend before or after Valentine’s Day. We used to give each other gifts, but we decided to put the money towards a nicer, more romantic restaurant. So now that is our tradition-to go to a fancy restaurant each year around Valentine’s Day. We still do cards, but it is nice to not have to worry about buying gifts.
Family Valentine’s Party. A few years back we started making Valentine’s Day a special day for my kids. I love the opportunity to tell them you love them and spend time with them.
Start some new Traditions. Valentine’s is a great time to start some fun new things together. No matter what you decide to do, use this day as an opportunity to share your love and gratitude for each family member.
Growing up, my mom would always put a Valentine on our bed with a cute note on it and some candy. I loved coming home from school to find it. I have kept that tradition and every year I put a Valentine and some yummy candy on their beds…even my husband’s… so they find it when they come home. Here are some other things you could try…Just pick one and try something new.
- Make homemade Valentine’s for your family, neighbors, or grandparents, the mail carrier, checker, teachers…really anyone you interact with.
- Make a gift certificate for back rub, back scratch, foot massage.
- Put a note in their backpacks, lunchbox, jacket, car…just somewhere they will find it later.
- Have a fancy candlelight dinner…my kids love this!
- Decorate Valentine’s cookies and take the extras to a neighbor.
- Look for someone you can serve.
- Eat red or heart shaped food…heart pizza, heart cake, heart cookies, red jello, red sauce, red sparkling cider, pink heart pancakes, or heart-shaped pasta. Check out these Valentine’s Day recipes.
- Have a “Love to be a family day”.
- Have a scavenger hunt.
- Hang a homemade “mailbox” (let them decorate it) on each kid’s door and for a week have family members leave each other notes.
- Play Secret Cupid-Basically doorbell ditch treats/games to a neighbor’s door.
- Go to a play or a concert as a family.
- Heart attack a family member’s door or a neighbor’s.
- Don’t forget to make Valentine’s for cousins and grandparents.
- Have each family member write 5 nice things about each other.
- Play Valentine’s memory.
- Go out and see how many random acts of kindness you can do together as a family.
- Make Valentine’s Cryptograms.
- Eat Chocolate! Just because! Chocolate covered Oreos, chocolate heart cookies, Dove Chocolate, chocolate fondue, Ferrero...Yummy! I’d better stop!
My inspirations for this post:
***This post contains some affiliate links.***