WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH THIS YEAR???
It’s that time of year when we start to think about making resolutions and goals for the new year. I love January! I love setting goals and looking at ways to refocus and improve in my life. New year, new beginnings. Goals really help put an emphasis on what is important in life, help eliminate unwanted distractions, and master weaknesses.
How long does it take to develop a habit?
Last year I set the goal to exercise every day. I did the 21 Day Fix for 3 weeks and it really did become part of my routine. If I missed it, I really did miss doing the workouts. A few years ago, I set a goal to pray first thing in the morning. I had a check off sheet and marked off every morning I prayed and after a month it became a habit. I’d encourage you to set some goals for January-one month. Try to develop some awesome, new habits in January.
Tips for accomplishing goals…
- Write it down. Putting it on paper helps me think it through and shows that I am serious about achieving the goals.
- Pray about it.
God knows what you need to achieve in your life. He wants you to improve and to master your weaknesses and He WILL help you accomplish your goals.
- Focus on the future not the past. How will these goals impact your future?
- Review goals daily. Take 5′ each day and look at your goals. How are you doing?
- Hang your written goals somewhere where you’ll see them.
- Use goals that are SMART.
(Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-sensitive)
Dave Ramsey has a great list of Smart Goals.
- Tell a friend or loved one about your goals. Have someone to report to.
- Make adjustments as needed.
Goal Ideas-There are so many avenues to consider and ways to improve. Dave Ramsey recommends 7 areas of focus for planning goals. I’d narrow it down to Spiritual, Mental, Physical, Social, and Family Goals. Try to set at least one goal in each of these areas.
Spiritual-How is your relationship with God?
- Pray twice a day
- Daily Thankful Journal
- 30′ Daily Scripture Study
- Church Attendance
- Repent daily
- Freely Forgive Others
- Pay an honest tithe
- Learn how to do Family History
One of my goals last year was to research my ancestors. I have really enjoyed finding out more about them. Here are two family members that I was able to find. I love the cool old photos! You can sign up for a free account HERE.
Mental-Are you challenging your mind?
- Finish your degree
- Work for a Career promotion or look for a new job.
- Study a new topic from resources online or from the library. I loved this article about how to continue learning for free.
- Develop a talent-Learn to play the piano, paint, or play a sport.
- Learn another language.
- Learn to budget wisely or manage personal finances.
- Read the classics.
- Develop a plan for preparedness and emergencies.
Physical-How is your overall health?
- Daily Exercise
- Hourly walking breaks
- 10,000 steps a day
- Eating Healthy, homemade meals.
- Don’t eat out for a month
- Plan meals for a week.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Get more sleep.
- Drink more water.
- Go to the doctor.
Social-How do you interact with others?
- Do something else when you are bored besides look at your phone.
- Say thank you 10 times a day
- Say yes more (or maybe it’s to say NO more)
- Serve others more.
- Post positive comments on Social media.
- Start a blog (like Me!)
- Make an effort to talk to strangers (like standing in lines, or at big events).
- Volunteer for a service project in your community. Check out justserve.org.
- Get to know your neighbors. Take them a treat!
- Plan one-on-one dates with kids.
- Plan weekly dates with spouse.
- Encourage peace and love at home.
- Weekly Family nights.
- Help your kids set goals.
- Have a sit down dinner together every night.
- Be more Patient with your kids.
- Spend 5 extra minutes with each kid each day.
- Set up a chore chart system
- Save for your family vacation now.
“A goal is an ‘anticipated accomplishment’.” You can do this!
Here are a few other resources I found…
- Printable Little Kid Goals
- Goal Chart
- 30 Day Habit Tracker
- SMART Goal Worksheet
- Dave Ramsey Smart Goals Worksheet
- Funcheaporfree Monthly Challenges