Music is a very important part of our home. My husband is working from home and currently has Christmas music playing in the background. The kids like to have it playing while they do school work. One of my favorite times is listening to silly music on family road trips…hello Weird Al!
Music has a way of bringing peace and calm into our home. It helps us stay focused on things we are working on, makes the job we are doing more exciting and fun, and it always seems to cheer me up!
Holidays are no exception! We love to listen to Christmas music!!! It is so much fun! On normal years, we love to go to Christmas concerts and plays. Music can truly inspire the soul. We usually have it playing all through December. It is on while we open presents on Christmas or when we put up the tree. It is so much fun! I thought I would share some of our favorites with you. Most of them are oldies, but goodies!
- Michael McLean’s Forgotten Carols (so many fun originals!)
- Amy Grant
- Sarah Mclachlan
- Collin Raye
- Kenny Loggins
- Enya-Silent Night
- Peter Breinholt-Noel (So many fun originals)
- My girls like: Taylor Swift, Lindsey Sterling
- I also really like David James, SheDaisy, Celine Dion, David Archuleta, and Vanessa Williams.
- Some instrumental CDs we love…David Tolk, Kurt Bestor, George Winston-December, and The Piano Guys.
- The kids love the Muppets with John Denver, and the Grinch.
- Some other songs I love are: Still, Still, Still by James Conlee & Paul Cardall, Tell me the Story of Jesus by Kim Walker-Smith, Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Christmas is All About You by Mallary Hope, Sweet Little Jesus Boy by Trisha Yearwood, Prayer of the Children by Kurt Bestor.
You may notice that most of these songs are more spiritual. Our focus at Christmas is not Santa, Frosty, or Rudolph, but on Christ. Here is my post about how we feel about Santa. Fun upbeat songs about Christmas do have their place and we like them as we are driving around looking at lights. I’d say that my all time favorite song is “What Child is This”. I could listen to the many versions of that all day long! But I love so many of the original songs about Jesus that many of our favorite artists have created. Michael McLean says it’s “A carol to my King”. I really feel that peace and joy as I celebrate His life in singing along to some amazing songs about that sweet little baby Jesus!
Do you have a favorite Christmas song or artist? I’d love to check them out. I’m always looking for new artists and songs.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season!