Have you ever been in a home that just felt good? Sometimes you can’t even pinpoint what makes it different. Maybe you hear laughter and having fun in a safe, happy environment. It is possible for you to have that same love, peace and calm in your home as well. I have found that it is well worth the effort it takes to have that feeling in my home. When your home is filled with the Spirit of the Lord, there is indescribable peace and joy there.
There are many things you can do to help bring that peace into your home. Remember that it is a work in progress and every family has off days but it is so worth it! In our family, there are several things we have done to help us try to have that peace in our home continually.
- Limit the time your child is immersed in electronics. You can monitor phone time on a Screen time app.
- We don’t allow any electronics during the hours immediately after school unless it is needed for homework.
- No phones/TV during dinner.
- Cell phones don’t go into bedrooms at night. We have a plug-in station in the family room for all of the phones and tablets.
- Limit and be selective about what you watch on TV. For us, Prime Time TV and commercials are so awful! You can really decide what you let into your home. For us a solution is to have a DVR. We simply record our favorite shows and then we can skip through all of the crap!
- Our main computer in the family room in a big open area.
- Here’s my post on media influences in the home.
- No back talking, sassing, eye rolling is allowed.
- Kids must obey the 1st time I ask them.
- No “slams” or ripping on each other (even in jesting). They are only allowed to say nice things to each other.
- Speak to each other with kindness. When you ask your kids to get you something, try to let them know how much you appreciate them and ask nicely!
- Use manners! Say the magic words…please, you’re welcome, and thank you!
- No Swearing or derogatory words allowed in our home.
- No fighting or teasing. I hate it! It brings such a negative spirit into our home. Stop it as soon as possible!
- Here’s my post on manners.
Family Dinner Time
- As crazy as our life is, this is our time to sit together, talk, and take a break from our crazy schedules.
- Sit down at the table and eat dinner together every night. Make this a priority! It makes such a difference to the feeling in our home.
- All the family helps with set up, prep, cooking, and clean up. It can be a lot of fun to do it together and they are learning valuable skills while doing so.
- “Cleanliness is next to Godliness!” This is so true! I feel so much better when things are cleaned up and put away!
- Take 5′ each night to put things away.
- Make your bed every morning. My 90+ year old grandma could do it. So can you!
- Give your kids some chores to do. Teach them HOW to clean and organize their own spaces.
- They are not allowed to drop all of their school stuff in the walkway! We finally bought a bin for my daughter to put her stuff in. They need a place to put things when they come in or take them to their rooms.
- Have a place to hang jackets as you come in.
- Make sure the kids shower regularly. (Nothing is worse than BO!)
- Cleaning habits must be taught. It’s not easy for most kids and may require lots of training.
Quality Family Time
- Do things to build relationships. Doing fun things together has definitely brought us closer. It really helps us feel better around each other and get along when we are home.
- Find someone to serve together. Service brings such a peace into our home.
- Have a family game night.
- Go for a family walk.
- Help each other with homework.
- Go on a vacation together.
- Work on a project together. Yes, even working together can be bonding!
- Play calming music.
- Play fun music to lighten the mood. We like to listen to Christmas music while we take down the tree. It helps it be a little more fun. My husband plays his favorite playlists while he does the dishes or a family project.
- Homework time-My daughter likes to listen to calming music while doing homework. She says it helps her concentrate.
- Hymns really help bring a peaceful feeling into our home.
Encouraging the Spirit of the Lord
- The Spirit of the Lord is amplified when you do the things the Lord asks. These may seem “Basic” but as you do them, the Spirit will be strengthened in your home.
- Have family prayer morning and night. Nothing is more bonding than listening to a family member pray for you!
- Study Scriptures together daily.
- Have a Spiritual, weekly, family lesson.
- Go to church together every week. Worshiping together definitely lingers with us throughout the week.
- Pray about what you can do to make your home more peaceful.
There are so many things you can do to bring the Spirit into your home. Trust your feelings. A good rule is that if you feel bad about something that is happening in your home, that is what you should focus on. Change that and you will start to feel an added measure of peace and joy in your home. It is so worth it to have those days when the kids are getting along, helping with things, and your family is laughing together. Those are the days that make it all worth it!