What makes the “Perfect Christmas”? What would you say is your perfect Christmas? Is it the peace and joy you feel, fun times shared together with your family, the hope for a better future, gratitude for our loved ones and all of “stuff” we get, sleeping in and not having to go to work, relaxing together, eating yummy Christmas goodies, or lounging in warm Christmas jammies? There are so many fun things that contribute to the Perfect Christmas, but I’d say the number one element that brings such peace and calm is the Christmas Spirit or the Spirit of Christ.
Think about it. During Christmas time we seem to be a little more kind. We share more of our money, give more kindness and forgiveness to others, give more to charities, do more random acts of kindness, and spend lots more time together as a family. The Spirit of Christ really helps us want to do MORE and be MORE. Check out this little video about “The Old Shoemaker”. When you do things for others and share our love with them we really do draw closer to the Savior.
“They presented gold, frankincense and myrrh. These are not the gifts Jesus asks of us. From the treasure of our hearts Jesus asks that we give of ourselves.”President Thomas S. Monson
With all the craziness and fun of this time of year, take a few focused moments this Christmas season to remember Him. Celebrate the true meaning of Christmas with your family. Christmas Eve is usually when my family likes to take a break from everything else and focus on the miracle of the Savior and His birth and life.
Here are some things that we have done to help us put our focus on the Savior. We like to prepare our hearts for Christmas.
- Read the Christmas Story from Luke 2.
- Watch Christmas videos and Music Videos that focus on the Savior. We also love Mr. Krueger’s Christmas with Jimmy Stewart, The Other Wiseman, Silent Night, and The Christ Child, We love watching The Nativity while listening to Amy Grant’s song, “Breath of Heaven”.
- Serve others. give Goodies, gifts, or do a service like shoveling snow, or taking out a trash can.
- Look for ways to Light the World.
- Pray and express gratitude for Christ. Ask Him to help you feel His love for you.
- Write in a journal how the Savior has impacted your life.
- Act out the Christmas Story. We loved doing this when the kids were younger.
- Have a birthday party for the Savior. Sing Happy Birthday to the newborn King.
- Sing Christmas hymns about the Newborn King.
- Read Christmas books.
- Listen to Christmas music. Here is my post about our favorite Christmas music.
- Set goals of ways that you can be better. I really feel like the spirit of Christmas helps us want to do better. That is why so many people set goals at the start of the New year.
I have found that as you make His life the focus of your life you will feel greater peace, love, and happiness. Can you see Christ in Christmas? My daughter said in Spanish “mas” means more so it is having “more Christ in your life. That is the goal this Christmas! Try to have “more” Christ” in your life! You will definitely feel a difference in your home as you do! Merry Christmas!!!
***This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.***