Take some time this week to tell each family member more encouraging words and actions to show them that you love and appreciate them.
There are so many benefits to showing appreciation and encouragement for family members. It helps with kids’ self-esteem, helps them have intrinsic motivation, enhances their perseverance, helps them be happier and healthier. How we speak and the words we use make such a difference in the atmosphere of our homes!
I read today that “Parents typically ignore 95-97% of all appropriate and good things their kids do. But if the child misbehaves parents are 5-6 times more likely to pay attention to that behavior.” Do you think that is true? I’m very project oriented and if my kids aren’t being disrespectful or fighting-then my kids do get a little bit ignored. They say the squeaky wheel gets all the attention. But this week, let’s focus on all the good things our children are doing and let them know how we feel about it.
Try to speak more encouraging words:
- Be honest and sincere.
- Be specific and descriptive.
- Focus on the effort and the process, not the ability levels.
- Be enthusiastic
- Focus on the behavior and it’s value to you and others.
- Show them you are confident in them.
- Say nice words for upcoming events…”good luck on your test today”, “I’m praying you’ll do your best!”, “You’ll do great!”
Try to show more encouraging actions:
- Help them find talents and hobbies that are interesting to them.
- Help them develop their talents.
- Nod your head to show you are listening.
- SMILE (a great big I’m so happy to see you smile)
- Put your phone away.
- Turn off electronics and other distractions.
- Sticky notes, cards, or index cards (cut in 1/2)-Leave little notes about how much you love and appreciate them. You can stick them to mirrors, doors, in pockets, lunchboxes, wherever.
- Give a hug or a pat on the back.
- Go to their events to show support-plays, concerts, sports, whatever.
- Make their favorite dinner.
- Play their favorite game or read a favorite book.
Your family needs you! You can make all the difference! I’ve thought of several things on here that I am going to work on…starting with just focusing on the good and letting them know how much I appreciate them. Let me know what you try and how it goes!
Sources that inspired me…